Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Carol Taylor Workshop & Symposium

Pictures from the quilt show last Friday in Charlotte (North Carolina Quilt Symposium)! The symposium is a state-wide, annual thing, that moves around the state each year. Charlotte is 60 miles from where I live, so it was a short enough drive that I didn't have to spend the night.

I don't think any of these were award winners, but they were the ones that caught my eye!




There were classes on Friday & Saturday, with teachers like Karen Stone, Bonnie Hunter, Robbie Jo Eklow, Laura Wasilowski, etc. I only took one class, Sensuous Lines & Curves, with Carol Taylor. I'm not a great workshop taker, I guess, because teachers tend to want you to create something just like they've done. I want to learn the techniques, but make it w/my own spin, not make something exactly like 25 other people are making. I learned how to couch, and bought some crazy-expensive yarns from the teacher. (She also sold threads, aurifil, and I bought one spool of it, love it already!). This is the center section of the quilt, it's about 30" x 25". I still have to add more couching, then the outside consists of two different borders, one of which I didn't even get to in the class. More pictures of this as I get more done.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, I like it. I'll be looking forward to seeing more pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - great to see the results from you class with Carol. I am going to be in 3 of her workshops this week and am excited to learn her techniques. But like you, I don't want to make a replica of Carol's and the others in the class. I love what you have done thus far. Can't wait to see your finished "spin".

    ReplyDelete