Monday, May 5, 2014

Seems like we're heading straight into summer

Went to NY to visit my daughter & family over Easter, plus she had her new baby (Ethan) April 13th, so things were a little busier than usual.
While there, I took my granddaughter Madelyn to a goat dairy farm near their house where they have tours.  She loved it.  The goats were so friendly, but weren't like goats at a petting zoo that try to attack your hands for food.

And now that I'm home again and back to work, I've been making some simple baby quilts for my niece who had a baby girl on April 16th--
Also, have been doing samples for the Surface Design in Felting on-line class I'm enrolled in.  Felting is such a fun and unusual experience--more different than anything I think I've done before.
 This sample is a piece of silk over some merino roving, with circle resists.
Hot this past weekend here in NC--will probably have to turn the AC on by the end of the week.  Spring is over, summer is here.

3 comments:

  1. The printed silk over circular resists has produced a lovely result. Do you plan to remove the resists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you noticed any similarities in the results from using wool to create surface design/texture and the stitching used in quilting, or ways of transferring quilting/stitching knowledge to felting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zed, you're a no-reply blogger, so I have to answer here. I think that texture is something I love, no matter if it's in quilting or felting, and I just can't get away from making something with texture. I am fascinated with stuff made by C. June Barnes, who stitches on wool felt, then shrinks it, and then dyes it. I haven't had much luck with stitching things on after I felt them, I don't like how compressed it becomes, but I do like stitching, then shrinking something, and dyeing it last.

    ReplyDelete